Associate Degree in Health Information Technology
The associate degree program in Health Information Technology (HIT) offers a broad range of learning competencies. While building a solid foundation of knowledge and skills, you’ll receive interactive learning experiences, live coaching and feedback, and in-depth industry expertise. Our HIT degree was designed by industry experts based upon current healthcare employer standards, so you can be assured of learning the skills employers demand.
Gain the Skills Employers Need
In our interactive, cutting-edge online classrooms, your courses will cover:
- Medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, pathology, and pharmacology.
- The United States healthcare system organization and delivery, including healthcare information systems.
- Components of the healthcare record; how it is created, stored, and protected.
- Translation of diagnoses, conditions, and procedures into medical codes using a variety of standard formats, including ICD, CPT, and HCPCS.
- Leadership competency to monitor personal and group productivity and make recommendations for improvements in record quality and employee performance.
Benefits for You
As a Bryan student, you’ll receive these additional benefits:
- Membership to the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) during the latter half of your program.
- Certification preparation for the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam1 or the Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) exam through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- The cost for one exam attempt is included in the program tuition, in addition to all books and courseware!
Bryan University’s HIT program was developed based on current competencies outlined by AHIMA and students fully utilize the AHIMA Virtual Lab (Vlab). This lab gives you real-world experience with industry-leading technologies and software applications that employers actually use in the workplace. Examples include:
- HealthPort ROI: learn to log and analyze release of patient information requests online.
- Cerner PowerChart: learn to navigate the electronic health record (EHR).
- 3M Coding & Reimbursement: gain familiarity with encoder software tools and ICD-9 and ICD-10 codebooks.
- Nuance Quantim Encoders: gain familiarity with encoder software tools and ICD-9 and ICD-10 codebooks, including CPT and HCPCS codebooks.
Engaging, Live Online Classes
As a Bryan student, you’ll attend live virtual classes over the internet where you can see, speak and chat with your instructors and classmates from the comfort of your home. Plus, with an exciting student-centric website, you can access homework, practice exercises and class information anytime. At Bryan, we don’t think online learning means learning alone. This is why we provide you with individual faculty and mentor support, so you experience learning with the best.
The Bryan University Difference
- Long-Standing History of Excellence.
We have a 77-year track record of preparing graduates for successful careers since 1940.
- Focus on Employment, Not Just a Degree.
You’ll graduate with a degree targeted for a specific job market and earn skills that match employers’ needs. Work with the Career Services Department to build a job network, sharpen your interview skills, and create an eye-catching resume.
- Accelerated Programs.
At Bryan University, we’ve developed a unique approach to education that allows you to complete your program in the shortest amount of time possible, while still providing the curriculum, faculty, and support to help you be successful.
- Get the Credit You Deserve.
If you apply to Bryan University with prior college credits and/or a degree, we’ll accept as many credits as possible to validate the hard work you’ve already completed.
- Learn by Doing, Not Just Lectures.
You’ll develop skills and competencies using innovative, state-of-the-art learning curriculum, tools, and resources.
- Learn From Experts, Not Just Books.
Each faculty member has been carefully selected to ensure they have extensive industry experience. They provide caring, individualized support and mentoring.
- Connect With Others, Not Just the Internet.
Whether you’re an online or on campus student, you’ll learn collaboratively with faculty and peers to build a network of colleagues—for life.
- Return for Refresher Classes.
As a Bryan graduate, you’ll have the privilege of returning and auditing previously completed courses still being taught—at no charge—to keep your skills and confidence sharp.
A member of our student finance team will help you put together a financial plan that works for you. Financial aid is available to those who qualify.